Duke students remember victims of Typhoon Haiyan

Students honor those devastated by Typhoon Haiyan.

Gathered beneath the rain in front of the chapel, a group of students participated in a candlelit vigil Sunday night to honor those devastated by Typhoon Haiyan.

In the aftermath of the typhoon, which tore through the Philippines Nov. 8, over 3,900 people have been declared dead. As survivors struggle with injury, displacement and limited water supplies, the death count continues to grow. Members of the alpha Kappa Delta Phi sorority organized the vigil in remembrance of those impacted and to collect donations to support the Duke chapter of the Red Cross.

“It is ironic that it is raining—it is uncomfortable and annoying, but it doesn’t even come close to what the people have been going through these past few days,” said Sue Wasiolek, assistant vice president for student affairs and dean of students.

Senior Cara Buchicchio, president of alpha Kappa Delta Phi, encouraged all of the students in attendance to donate to the efforts of the Duke Red Cross.

“After I heard about the typhoon, I was really devastated by the magnitude and scope of the event,” said senior Rebecca Li, member of alpha Kappa Delta Phi. “I really felt like students weren’t really talking about it enough.”

To prepare to speak at the vigil, Leo Chang, associate professor and chair of the department of Asian and Middle Eastern studies, said he contacted his friend who was a professor in the Philippines. The friend said that despite the great personal and physical losses that were sweeping the country, she believed the message that they needed help was reaching the rest of the world.

“Despite my friend’s thought that the message is already out there, there are many things we still don’t know,” Chang said.

Even with the nearly 543,000 homes that were destroyed and more than 3.9 million people that were displaced, Chang said most people still do not know how they can help.

“The only certainty about natural disasters—like Typhoon Haiyan—is uncertainty,” he said.

Chang noted that many people questioned not only the cause of the typhoon but also the legitimacy of many of the charities that collect money for relief funds.

“From global climate changes to local philanthropy, uncertainty abounds,” he said.

Chang said he believed that the media will forget about the Philippines once the next big story hits. He added that some of the power struggles and politics in Asia have prevented the country from receiving adequate help. He cited China’s initial donation of $100,000 that was insufficient to even begin helping the country with its losses.

The vigil included performances by Stina, Speak of the Devil and Lady Blue.

As the only administrator in attendance, Wasiolek said that she thinks the vigil was especially powerful because it was arranged and executed by students.

Wasiolek noted that, although most students at Duke have not been personally impacted by the devastation, the “Duke family” has still shown a willingness and desire to help the Philippines. She encouraged students to continue focusing on relief efforts.

After concluding a moment of silence, Wasiolek thanked all in attendance and reminded them that “love is human.”

Junior Emily Harris, co-president of Duke Red Cross, said the she has seen a “tremendous outpouring” of support and donations from students, adding that the group has a goal of raising $5,000 for typhoon relief.

Every donation goes directly to help provide clean water, shelter or medical care for those impacted by the disaster, she said.

“Though the typhoon may be over, the relief efforts have just begun,” Harris said. “Together, we can help rebuild the Philippines.”

Share and discuss “Duke students remember victims of Typhoon Haiyan” on social media.