Crystal Mangum convicted of second-degree murder

Crystal Mangum was found guilty Friday of second-degree murder of her boyfriend Reginald Daye.

She was sentenced by Superior Court Judge Paul Ridgeway to a minimum of 14 years in prison after about six hours of deliberation by a 13-person jury.

Mangum stabbed Daye in April 2011 in a fight at Daye's home, 10 days after which he died at Duke University Medical Center. Mangum claimed she was acting in self-defense at the time after Daye hit her and knocked her to the floor, threatening and choking her. She testified in her own defense Wednesday and expressed that she did not intend to kill him.

Mangum's attorney Daniel Meier said that due to her constitutional right to testify, it was not his decision to allow her to take the stand. He would not say what his advice was to her or whether he believed the testimony did more harm than good, but noted that he has rarely had a clients' testimony work in their favor.

The worst possible outcome was for Mangum to be convicted of first-degree murder and life in prison without parole. He said the conviction, which was a lot better than the worst-case scenario, has been appealed.

Mangum previously gained notoriety after accusing three 2006 Duke lacrosse players of raping and kidnapping her. The players were eventually found innocent and Mangum's lawyer and former Durham District Attorney Mike Nifong was disbarred for perjury and violating professional conduct.

Meier said that he thinks the Duke case had a "bit of an influence" on the murder trial, but not an overwhelming one.

The jury acquitted Mangum of two larceny charges. She was accused of stealing two money orders from Daye totaling $700.

Share and discuss “Crystal Mangum convicted of second-degree murder” on social media.