SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Tie adds to postseason pressure for Duke women's soccer

Duke battled to a 0-0 draw on the road against Clemson Thursday night.

With NCAA tournament aspirations on the line, a common theme reappeared for the Blue Devils Thursday night.

Needing a win to draw closer to postseason eligibility, Duke was unable to find the back of the net, battling Clemson to a scoreless draw in double-overtime at Riggs Field in Clemson, S.C.

“We got a point [for the tie], which obviously is better than not getting anything,” Duke head coach Robbie Church said. “But right now, we needed three points [for a win], so the pressure continues to mount.”

Time is beginning to run out on the Blue Devils (5-6-4, 2-4-3 in the ACC), who have four matches remaining in the regular season. Two of those contests will be played on the road, as Duke will face off against No. 9 Notre Dame Sunday and No. 2 North Carolina Halloween night. The Blue Devils will host N.C. State and Pittsburgh, the bottom two teams in the ACC, next weekend in the final homestand of the season.

The Blue Devils entered Thursday’s game expecting a physical battle, and held their own against the Tigers (7-4-4, 4-3-2).

“I don’t think it affected our play at all, except for maybe at the beginning of the match,” Church said. “I was a little disappointed with how we started. In this league, you’ve got to be sharp every night, for the entire 90 minutes.”

Midway into the second half, Church inserted a trio of substitutes into the contest, and was pleased with how they finished the half. Juniors Katy Colas and Katie Trees and redshirt sophomore Audrey Gibson created some good looks, and were given additional minutes in the second half as well.

Church instituted a more defensive-oriented system last weekend against Maryland, and his team responded with a 2-1 victory against the Terrapins. The Blue Devils used the same scheme against the Tigers, and although they generated more scoring opportunities, they were not rewarded for their efforts.

Four Blue Devil shots either hit the crossbar or clanked off the post, including two of senior forward Laura Weinberg’s three attempts. None of Duke’s seven other shots were good enough to sneak by Clemson goalie Kailen Sheridan, who finished the night with two saves. Weinberg’s shot in overtime deflected off of Sheridan, hit the bottom of the crossbar, but stayed out of the goal.

“I don’t know how it stayed out,” Church said. “It’s tough. The kids are a little frustrated.”

Making her second consecutive start in goal, Duke goalie Meghan Thomas was just as steady, recording two saves on the Tigers’ 10 shots.

The Blue Devils now travel to South Bend, Ind., for their third consecutive road game, where the Fighting Irish await. Notre Dame will be well-rested after not playing during the week, but Church said he feels confident in his team’s ability to rise to the occasion and doesn’t expect the team to press at all with the season very much in limbo.

“I know we’re going to come out and play well at Notre Dame,” Church said. “The kids are working hard. We’re fully capable of coming out of there with three points and a win.”

Share and discuss “Tie adds to postseason pressure for Duke women's soccer” on social media.