Students and faculty discuss new political science space

The political science department held an open house at Gross Hall Tuesday, allowing students and professors to discuss their new space. 

After renovations in Perkins forced them to move to the second floor of Gross Hall, the political science department held an open house to introduce students to the new space. Faculty and graduate students in the department have already been working in the space over the summer, but the event officially introduced the space to students who just returned to campus.

Although members of the political science department noted that having a single location will create a sense of community among students and professors, individuals also expressed that the department feels far removed from the campus.

Bahar Leventoglu, director of undergraduate studies for political science, said the new space gives the department a single, coherent location that can be used for multiple purposes.

“I think the new place is fantastic." she said. "We never really had a common space that we could use for events [and] for interactions with our students when we were back in Perkins."

Students also expressed their appreciation for the aesthetics and functionality of the new space in Gross.

“I’m a huge fan of the new facilities. They are beautiful and it makes it convenient to have the political science classes in this building and for there to be spaces to study and eat and meet with advisors,” said junior Ben Hand-Bender, and political science major. “Perkins…was really terrible."

Professor of Political Science Tom Spragens also said he looks forward to having students interact with each other and with members of the department in the new space.

“Hopefully students will hangout and if [they’re] interested in political science or a political science course this is a nice place to sit," he said. "And you might get to know other students with similar interests or even professors."

Some students and faculty, however, expressed reservations about the move.

“I didn’t come to Gross very often before. It does seem less crowded and more spread out…although I will miss the convenience of Perkins,” said junior Ryan Kelly, a political science major.

Department Chair Jack Knight acknowledged the loss of Perkins’ centrality, but argued that the new space makes up for that in other ways.

“Well obviously that was in the middle of the main part of campus, but I think we’re trading off that location for the opportunity of better interaction." Knight said. "So we worry a bit about 'Are students going to know where we are?'…but once they come down, their experience will be better than it was in the past."

It’s unclear at this point whether Gross will remain a permanent home. Knight said that plans for the department’s location in the future are still not confirmed, though it will not be moving back into Perkins after renovations are completed.

Share and discuss “Students and faculty discuss new political science space” on social media.