Soundoff: Heat Wave Concert

Khloe Kim/The Chronicle

This past Friday, Duke University Union’s Major Attractions and Joe College Concerts kicked off the semester and welcomed students back with the Heat Wave concert. Krewella, Cherub, and Kickraux performed on the Duke Main Quad at 8pm to what JoeCo called “an amazing show.” Daytime activities and free t-shirts were also available at the event. For many first-year students, this was their first time attending a college concert. The Chronicle’s  Nivedha Ram spoke with freshmen those who attended the concert about their experience.

“It’s a good place to meet people who go to Duke. If you go off campus, you aren’t necessarily going to connect with people that you’ll see a lot.”

-freshman Rose Hinson from Palo Alto, California

“It was one of the best bonding experiences  that I've ever had.”

-freshman Callie Mao 

“I got my toenail broken, but it was a great time.”

-freshman Frannie Sensenbrenner

“It’s a perfect weekend for Major Attractions committee and Joe College Committee to collaborate to bring Heat Wave as the back-to-school concert so the students can have something to do. This year the concert happened right after the activities fair so it’s a great way for freshmen to meet other students but also get away from East Campus.”

– Jerrica Washington, Program Coordinator, UCAE: Student Involvement, Joe College Advisor

“When I went to the Beyoncé concert the t-shirts were $45, but at Heat Wave the t-shirts were free! Duke is awesome!”

– Freshman Lee Barnes from Kansas City, Missouri

Share and discuss “Soundoff: Heat Wave Concert” on social media.