Soundoff: East Campus Activities Fair

Sophia Palenberg/The Chronicle

This past Friday, hundreds of freshmen and upperclassmen gathered on East Campus’s Main Quad to share their interests and discover new ones at the annual Activities Fair. The Chronicle’s Ryan Eichenwald spoke with the freshman—as well as the presenting upperclassmen—about their impressions on the fair and the clubs and organizations presented.

“It seems very crowded, but also really interesting. I’m definitely looking forward to looking around and seeing what clubs I want to join.”

freshman Brianna Acosta

“It’s hot! But it’s hot in a good way. It’s Paris Hilton hot. It’s a bustling place, lots of people really excited… Like, half the people that I know on campus are losing their minds right now because they’ve been sitting around this week, waiting to get into everything they possibly can and this is your first shot to walk through the open doors that are there. It’s pretty cool to see how many different people are interested in different things. It’s a good day to kind of notice and appreciate Duke.”

sophomore Zachary Falder

“It’s going well, I think. Great opportunity for freshman to see what’s going on, and we’ve been getting a lot of… interesting Quidditch!”

sophomore Stephanie Matheson

“I think it’s good. It’s our biggest opportunity to get new members—we’re a small club trying to get going, so it’s a great opportunity for us to recruit people.”

senior Ricardo Urive

“Overwhelming, but in a good way. I heard there’s a guy in a lemur suit bouncing around, but I haven’t seen him yet. I’m interested in the groups about animals and the environment.”

freshman Christina Burt

“I think there’s a lot to be involved in, I think there’s a lot that’s trying to grab your attention, but I think it’s awesome that we have so many opportunities on campus. Signing up for DUI was hilarious.”

freshman Simone Singleton

“It’s been a good experience. I love the free stuff, I love learning about new activities around campus, and I think it’s a good way to teach incoming freshman the ways to get involved on campus. My favorite booth so far has been the LAUNCH booth—they had some good information and they also gave out free water bottles, so, nothing wrong with that.”

freshman J.P. Thomas 

Share and discuss “Soundoff: East Campus Activities Fair” on social media.