How to Ace your Job Interview

Congratulations! You have just gotten an interview with your dream company! However, it's not time to celebrate just yet —you still need to pass interview.

Listed below are some tips that you will need to ace your next interview, courtesy of the Career Center's Interview Workshop last week.

1. Preparation

-Research about the company. This is a crucial part of the preparation. Interviewers will lose interest in you if you do not demonstrate a mutual interest back in their company.

-Reflect on past experiences and practice your presentation skills. You want to be able to communicate your credentials effectively.

-Dress up appropriately (business casual or business professional, unless you are interviewing with tech companies which may be a bit more casual)

-Practice your handshake, be firm, but don’t break the interviewer’s hand.

-When answering the “tell me about yourself” question, make sure to draw on your professional experiences not your personal ones.

-Limit your answer to each question to about two minutes.

-When reflecting on an experience, try to think STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result), and make sure to focus on the R.

-Ask educated questions that can demonstrate your background research (always tell them a little bit of what you already know about the company, and then ask the rest).

-Prepare extra questions before hand because some of them may be answered during the interview.

-Ask for business card or contact info!

2. Make sure to follow up!

-It is considered ideal to send a follow up email within 24 hours of the interview.

-Thank the interviewer for his or her time.

-Reiterate your interest in the position.

-If there has been any change to your resume since the time you applied to the position, update it.

3. Most Importantly...

The number one thing to remember is that regardless of the nature of the interview, the ultimate goal of an applicant is to demonstrate to the company that not only is he or she a valuable asset but also possesses the skills and qualities that best fit its needs.

Good luck with your interviews, everyone!

Share and discuss “How to Ace your Job Interview” on social media.