Duke graduate students aid kids at Durham County Youth Home

Every Tuesday and Thursday, around 40 graduate students stop studying and start giving back to the Durham County Youth Home, a local juvenile detention center.

MedMentors is a philanthropic organization that brings together students from Duke's graduate and professional schools to tutor and mentor children in Durham.

“MedMentors’ mission is to create an educational environment for kids at the home,” said Tony Fuller, president of the program and a third year medical student. “We don’t only cover topics related to schooling. We talk about life in general and ways to achieve your goals.”

The group was founded in 2008 with a grant from the Albert Schweitzer Fellowship. When it began, MedMentors was only open to medical students. Last year, however, it opened up to the larger Duke graduate community.

“Our lesson plans each week cover a variety of topics, from current events to health related issues to culture,” Fuller said.

MedMentors offers tutoring to meet the individual needs of students. They also have a book report program—which gives students a chance to read for pleasure—and a recently implemented a program that focuses on fitness. This year, they hope to introduce cooking classes to help kids learn how to make nutritional and inexpensive meals.

“We’ve taken a holistic approach, which has made the program richer and helped the kids benefit more,” Fuller said.

He added that his goal is to continue to think of creative ways to interact with students. The program will continue to adapt to the changing needs of kids.

“Honestly, more important than any one of the programs is the connections that we build with the students,” said Senior Advisor Jesse Fitzpatrick, a third year medical student. “The Duke students might be the first people that these kids are meeting who are on a professional track."

Fitzpatrick noted that some of the volunteers have become involved in the students' lives outside of the Durham Country Youth Home—with some even attending court hearings to support the kids.

“I think the Duke MedMentors program has had a tremendous impact,” said Dwayne Williams, a detention counselor at the Durham County Youth Home. “The Duke students have shown compassion, they have followed the rules, and they have brought different ideas to the table. We are very appreciative."

Williams also highlighted the involvement of other Duke students. Each year, MedMentors and StreetLaw—a parallel group run by the Duke Law School—do at least one joint session.

“There have been some kids who have had the intellect but weren’t thinking about college, and as a result of the MedMentors program, they’re now planning on going to college,” Williams said.

Fitzpatrick noted that the volunteers get as much out of the program as they put into it.

“I have really enjoyed the kids, and getting to know them each week,” Fitzpatrick said. “It’s also nice to have a consistent time to volunteer each week, and have an element of life that is completely separate from medical school.”

Fuller noted that the most fulfilling part of the program is working with the kids.

“Personally, I’m from the South side of Chicago, so I come from a background where I can relate to these kids," he said. "I know what they’re going through and where they’re coming from, and so I’ve had some great one-on-one experiences with them.”

Share and discuss “Duke graduate students aid kids at Durham County Youth Home” on social media.