Anthropocene Exhibit on display at Perkins Library

A new exhibit opened earlier this summer in Perkins Library on West Campus. The exhibit, titled “Recording the Anthropocene,” is devoted to a movement to rename the geological age, marked by new relationships between humans and the earth, in which we are currently living. The exhibit will be on display until October 13th.

The term “Anthropocene” denotes the epoch during which human beings have changed the way the Earth functions on several levels, such as altering the atmosphere or transforming both marine and terrestrial systems. Humans have become " a geologic agent, altering planetary conditions and processes,” according to the museum website. .

Located by the Perkins entrance, the exhibit is available for browsing during all public hours for Duke students. It contains a small collection of artifacts ranging from 250,000-year-old spear tips to modern laptops and cell phones as well as a few interactive opportunities to explore human-world interactions like high-tech harvesting.

Many library-goers rush past the exhibit on their way to class or to study, but the computer that poses the question “What the frack is going on with all this fracking going on?” is an obvious attempt to attract the attention of passerby. As time goes on, however, students admit to becoming somewhat numb to this kind of presentation of information.

Senior Lucas Spangher says, “I’m kind of desensitized to there being an exhibit here… [the exhibits in Perkins] must appeal to a wide array of backgrounds, but I’m interested in very specific things.”

Other students see the Perkins exhibit as a nice feature to have in the library.

"Whenever I see a new exhibit at Perkins, I try to stop by to check it out," said sophomore Jimmy Fang. "It's a nice study break."

Outsiders, however, are much more inclined to take a closer look. Indian communications professional Manisha Tripathi, on holiday here with her husband, said that she sought out the library and expressed pleasant surprise to find such an extensive exhibit there.

“I moved from one part of the exhibit to the next and my interest was only piqued,” said Tripathi.

The exhibit poses several questions to its audience about the ethical and social issues surrounding this new term and urges interdisciplinary cooperation in order to overcome issues surrounding this new age of the Anthropocene: “Does the term Anthropocene imply that we are all equally affected by and responsible for environmental change, when in fact it affects and is caused by some populations more than others? Do we use the term… out of humility and responsibility toward the future of the planet, or as a kind of hubris in which the entire world lives in the Age of the Human?”

The exhibit is accompanied by a slew of recommended readings and documentaries fiction and nonfiction. For more information: Click here.

Share and discuss “Anthropocene Exhibit on display at Perkins Library” on social media.