Freshmen Tips - Mobile Apps Every Duke Student Should Have

Andrew Luo/The Chronicle

Welcome to your first week of real college classes! After the long week of Orientation Week festivities, I’m sure everyone is glad to buckle down and hit the books (maybe).  Instead of fretting about your syllabi just yet, take a look at these must-have mobile applications that may make your life (and morning commute from East) a little bit easier.

DukeMobile

As its name implies, this app comes in handy for all things remotely Duke-related. Not only do you have access to a calendar list of the all the latest events happening on campus, you can also find contact information for all your professors just in case you want to ask a question or set up a FLUNCH.  The application is not just limited to essential campus info—you can  refill both your food and flex points straight from your phone. It really becomes a convenient lifesaver when you (inevitably) run out of funds later on in the semester... Freshman 15 is a real thing.

TransLoc

Tired of waiting outside in the rain for a C-1 that never comes? Well, look no further, there’s an app for that! Transloc, which tracks all the buses on campus, will tell exactly when the next bus will arrive. In fact, it even provides an estimated time of arrival. The app is not just limited to Duke buses however. You can also check bus locations for the Triangle Transit or Durham Area Transit Authority, just in case you want to venture off campus for a day trip.

DevilPrint

Developed by Duke undergraduates just last year, DevilPrint allows you to print homework assignments, lab reports, and webpages straight from the comfort of your phone. Speaking from personal experience, this handy application is particularly useful when you’re on the go or are in a time crunch to turn in a homework assignment. DevilPrint also gives you the locations of all the functional printers available throughout the campus.

The Chronicle

Perhaps this is a bit a self-promotion, but your favorite college newspaper is also available on your phone! Read up on the campus news, check out opinion blogs, or refresh your memory on last night’s football game. That's not all; The Chronicle’s app also gives you quick mobile shortcuts to other important Duke websites, such as ACES, Duke Maps, or Sakai.

Qduke

Last but not least, we have qduke.com, perhaps the single most important website for Duke students.  While this is technically not a mobile application, its application (haha) is essentially boundless. From a single page, you have access to Google searches, the latest scores on ESPN, Chronicle news, DukeAlerts, and much much more. I would recommend having this site set as your homepage as soon as possible.

Share and discuss “Freshmen Tips - Mobile Apps Every Duke Student Should Have” on social media.