Duke receives $1.3 million for medical research

Duke received a $1.3 million donation, according to a Duke News press release Tuesday.

The gift from Charles and Daneen Stiefel will support Duke Medicine research on the genetic mechanisms that give rise to Common Variable Immune Deficiency. Patients who suffer from CVID have low levels of infection-fighting antibodies, leaving them more susceptible to illness and facing an increased risk of developing lymphoma.

Because there are few good diagnostic tests for CVID, people are often undiagnosed for months or years, which can lead to premature death.

“The Stiefel family’s support for research of this type helps advance our knowledge and furthers our mission of transforming medicine through innovation and discovery,” said Victor Dzau, chancellor for health affairs and president and CEO of the Duke University Health System. “Advances in patient care come about only through research like this, and we are very grateful to Charlie and Daneen.” 

This donation is part of the Duke Forward campaign—a $3.25 billion Duke University-wide fundraising campaign launched last September. The Stiefel’s donation will contribute to Duke Medicine’s $1.2 billion goal.

“We are fortunate to have such wonderful partners as Charlie and Daneen, who have given their time and energy to Duke University and Duke Medicine,” President Richard Brodhead said in the release. “Their generous gift will help our researchers generate insights that will have an impact for patients not only here at Duke, but in the wider community as well.”

Charles Stiefel serves on the Duke Medicine Board of Visitors. 

Share and discuss “Duke receives $1.3 million for medical research” on social media.