West Union renovations begin, completion date pushed back

The West Union renovations, which can be seen above, have officially begun and are set for completion in early 2016. The remodeled West Union will include a pub and bakery, among other food venues.

The West Union overhaul has officially begun and will be completed later than originally expected, according to a Duke News press release.

The West Union remodel was set to begin this summer and finish the summer of 2015. The Board of Trustees, however, rejected a plan for the West Union remodel at their meeting early May, which prompted a redesign and delayed construction.

The Facilities and Environment committee of the Board of Trustees met by conference call July 27 to discuss the plans for West Union with administrators and architects and agreed to unanimously move forward as delegated by the executive committee, wrote Michael Schoenfeld, vice president for public affairs and government relations, in an email July 28.

The press release announced that the project has begun and is set to be completed in early 2016. The demolition phase of the project will occur until February 2014. Afterwards, contractors will renovate the inside of building until early 2016. 

The project is being funded by an $80 million donation from the Charlotte-based Duke Endowment. The contribution will be paid over several years and is meant to fund renovations for Baldwin Auditorium and Page Auditorium as well. 

The remodeled West Union will include a pub, a bakery and a faculty lunch spot that will double as a sit-down dinner venue for students. 

While the renovations take place, the new Events Pavilion will be used as a dining space. Completed this summer, the Pavilion will eventually be used as a space for meetings and other events once the renovations are complete.

Updated from the original article Aug 1 to include Michael Schoenfeld's comments.

Share and discuss “West Union renovations begin, completion date pushed back” on social media.