Watch List: Stefani Jones

If you’re looking for someone to inspire you to change the world—starting with Duke—look to Duke Student Government President Stefani Jones.

Jones, a senior from Scottsdale, Ariz., is a political science major and pursuing a policy journalism and media studies certificate. Jones has been an active leader throughout her college career as both a senator and vice president on DSG. But her reach extends far beyond student government. She has also been an activist, paving the way on several major social justice campaigns.

Jones is the president and co-founder of the Coalition for a Conflict-Free Duke. In Spring 2012, the organization convinced the Board of Trustees to alter their investment policies for companies that use conflict minerals extracted in the Congo. 

In Fall 2012, Jones led the task force that successfully pushed the University to repeal changes it made to the statute of limitations on reporting sexual misconduct. She’s also had a strong presence in the LGBT community’s quest for gender-neutral housing, in attempts to make Duke more handicap-accessible and in organizing bystander intervention training for campus leaders. She and some other students even created their own super PAC called Americans for a Better Tomorrow, Yesterday. And the list goes on.

Jones said it’s important for freshman to get involved as soon as they get to campus, noting that freshman can run for senator positions on DSG. She added that her favorite activities are ones that put her out of her comfort zone.

“They’ve taught me to take risks and to never second-guess that I can do something,” she wrote in an email. “You should try as many new things as possible as a freshman and figure out what you love. Don’t let the fact that you haven’t done something before stop you from trying out for a group or team.”

It’s also important, though, to have fun. Outside of academics and her extensive list of extracurriculars, Jones loves her sorority, Alpha Phi, going out to eat in Durham and traveling the globe.

Share and discuss “Watch List: Stefani Jones” on social media.