Blue Devils United endorses Jones for DSG president, Doytchinov for EVP

As Duke’s premiere undergraduate organization for LGBT, queer and allied students, Blue Devils United endorses Stefani Jones for president and Nikolai Doytchinov for executive vice president with the belief that these two candidates will be the best possible advocates for both LGBT issues and for Duke as a whole.

Duke should consider herself lucky to have two such qualified contenders for EVP as Tre’ Scott and Nikolai Doytchinov; each candidate commands the energy and ability to accomplish much in the position. However, we believe Nikolai’s goal-oriented, strategic outlook and seemingly limitless dedication better equip him for the position.

For president, we fully endorse Stefani Jones and find her competition quite bare. Stefani has been a staunch historical ally of Duke’s queer community, as demonstrated by her central role in achieving gender-neutral housing and her close work as vice president of equity and outreach with our community during the ongoing West Union renovations and relocations. We are also impressed by the leadership shown in the abolition of the statue of limitations for sexual misconduct and trust that she will continue to be a staunch advocate for survivors of sexual violence as president. Stefani has a clear vision for improving the handling of bias incidents and discrimination on campus that is marked by balance and realism. Stefani’s career in advocacy at Duke is littered with successes, any one of which is a landmark event unto itself. We at BDU are confident that Stefani Jones will continue this tradition of excellence into her presidency.

Michael Pruitt, Trinity ’13

Outreach chair, Blue Devils United

Share and discuss “Blue Devils United endorses Jones for DSG president, Doytchinov for EVP” on social media.