Duke Student Government to fight removal of freshmen parking on East Campus

The Devils took down the Florida State Seminoles, previously undefeated in the ACC, Saturday at Indoor Cameron Stadium

Future freshmen may not be able to bring their cars on campus.

The Duke administration might choose to eliminate parking for freshmen on East Campus in the near future, Duke Student Government President Alex Swain, a senior, announced at the DSG meeting Wednesday. The administration is considering this change for several reasons, including the desire to mitigate University-wide parking shortages and become carbon neutral by 2024.

“DSG is opposed to eliminating parking on East Campus and we are in talks with the administration to try to preserve student parking on East Campus,” Swain said in an interview.

The change would limit the transportation options available for freshmen, which would not be in the interest of the first-year experience, Swain said. The talks will likely continue over the next few weeks.

The Senate also discussed the recognition of a new student group called Scale and Coin, an interest group meant to offer opportunities and information in the business field. Scale and Coin plans to organize business and finance-related events and workshops, as well as hold open recruitment for new members. Sophomore Adesuwa Giwa-Osagie, senator for equity and outreach, raised concern over the group’s similarity to Alpha Kappa Psi business fraternity, which was disbanded due to conduct violations. The Senate voted 28-21 to refer the decision to a different committee within DSG.

In other business:

Sophomore Laurel Kaye urged the Senate to support the implementation of a syllabus archive that would connect to ACES to aid students in choosing classes. Kaye said that during the drop/add period, many students who have to shift their classes around would benefit from a resource that gave more information about a class. The archive would accomplish this task by giving students more information about a particular class. The Senate voted unanimously in favor of the idea.

The Senate unanimously approved the resolution to allow the Romance Studies department to create a majors union, which will plan to implement mentors and mentees within the department and host learning activities.

Duke Quidditch will be allowed to hold their third Annual Intercollegiate Yule Ball of the Carolinas in the Great Hall. DSG will fund Great Hall fees, food, flyers and a DJ.

The Senate also reviewed and approved the Young Trustees applications.

The rules committee met to discuss the election by-law amendments for DSG. Social Culture Committee member Leighanne Oh, a sophomore, said the rules have to go through two different readings before being approved by the Senate.

Share and discuss “Duke Student Government to fight removal of freshmen parking on East Campus” on social media.