Duke LDOC planning gets underway

Musician Basshunter waves a Swedish flag while performing for a crowd at the Spring 2012 LDOC celebration. This year's LDOC committee just began meeting to plan the Spring 2013 celebration.

The Last Day of Classes is nearly seven months away, but discussions have begun on what the 2013 event will hold.

The Duke University Union LDOC committee has initiated planning for this academic year’s final concert, to be held April 24. Senior Bo Triplett and Sophomore Izzy Dover, LDOC committee co-chairs, said they are looking to build on last LDOC’s emphasis on daytime programming and to bring a cohesive program of performers. Triplett noted that since artists take time to secure, the committee is already researching performers.

Dover added that the committee wants to develop a vision for the event before more specific details are put in place.

“We’ve really been talking about bringing in a group of artists that kind of fit together well, to make it a cool concert festival experience rather than just having a hodge-podge of different genres and different price ranges,” Triplett said.

The committee has been researching musical acts that have come to Duke in previous years for LDOC performances and other events, Dover said. She added that there have been many hip-hop performances in recent years.

“We’re not necessarily trying to stray away from that, but we’re trying to serve the population of Duke that isn’t being served in their musical interests,” she said.

Triplett referenced acts that came to Duke over the past decades as inspiration for this year’s concert. Examples included Bruce Springsteen concerts in the ’80s, concerts in Cameron Indoor Stadium by musicians like Bob Marley and Dave Matthews, and more recent ones such as the Third Eye Blind LDOC in 2008.

“We want to bring back that same vibe rather than just a big name pop artist,” he said.

Students surveyed by The Chronicle on Facebook pitched a wide variety of acts they would like to see. Popular selections included the Black Keys, Mumford and Sons, Dave Matthews Band and Fun!, as well as a variety of electronic artists and rappers, such as Childish Gambino.

Junior Jillian Williams, who works as a college marketing representative for Universal Music Group, said she thinks an electronic dance music performer would be a good fit, given its wide appeal.

“Right now EDM is huge—it’s getting bigger all the time—infiltrating pop music,” she said. “[It’s in] everything from mash-ups [like] Girl Talk to 3LAU to Nicki Minaj to Justin Bieber.... The key is that you need it to be upbeat... whatever genre it is.”

Apart from the music, Dover said the committee wants to uphold the precedent set by last year’s LDOC in terms of daytime programming, which included student performances, a barbecue in Krzyzewskiville and a silent disco.

Triplett added that various sub-committees are working to garner additional funding and develop security plans for the event so that students can safely enjoy themselves.

The past three LDOC events have had a constant improvement in safety and quality of planning, DUU President Nathan Nye, a senior, noted in an email Monday.

Share and discuss “Duke LDOC planning gets underway” on social media.