Coley leaves Robertson Program

Robertson Scholars Executive Director Woody Coley is resigning from his post, following a clash with the program's founder.

Coley is stepping down in June after a single year in the position, according to a May 31 email obtained by The Chronicle. Coley, former managing partner at the real estate consulting firm Value² Partners, LLC., is the merit scholarship program’s fourth director in its 12-year history.

According to the email, which Coley sent to current Robertson Scholars, he decided to step down due to disagreements with the program's founder and benefactor, Julian Robertson.

“Julian and I concluded that we had different views on the governance, administration and innovation to be applied to the program,” Coley said. “We have reached a mutual agreement to separate in June. I have been honored to represent two Universities and the generous Robertson family.”

In addition to the executive director position, the program has seen a significant shift in leadership in recent months. Several employees have stepped down from their roles, including Jeanne Kirschner, the program’s director of operations, and Abbey Greenberg-Onn, assistant director for recruiting and selection, according to a March 6 email to scholars.

Additionally, Coley’s predecessor, Alex Perwich, resigned in June 2010 after serving about four months in the position. Kirschner searched for Perwich’s replacement for nearly a year until Coley took the role April 2011.

DukeEngage Director Eric Mlyn was the Robertson’s first executive director, serving from October 2000 to July 2007. The program was then helmed by Tony Brown, professor of the practice at the Sanford School of Public Policy and now the director of the Hart Leadership Program, through Spring 2010.

In his email, Coley encouraged scholars not to be concerned about the shifting leadership. “The organizational changes here may be unsettling. Fear not,” he said. “Your life trajectory will be influenced far more by your own qualities and relationships than by those of us who have had the privilege to administer the program.”

Robertson and Dr. Aaron Stern, a member of the program’s board of directors, have invited scholar input to help solve the ambiguity surrounding the leadership transitions within the program, The Chronicle previously reported.

Share and discuss “Coley leaves Robertson Program” on social media.