SPORTS  |  TENNIS

Women’s tennis still competing in NCAAs

Although the Blue Devils have been eliminated from team play, they are still in singles and doubles play in this year’s NCAA tournament.

Freshman Beatrice Capra and sophomore Hanna Mar were selected to take part in the 64-person singles draw, which began yesterday at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, Ga. Capra, the No. 2 overall seed in the tournament, defeated Vanderbilt’s Jackie Wu in the the first round 6-2, 6-2, sending her to the round of 32. Named ITA National Co-Rookie of the Year last week, Capra defeated the tournament’s No. 1 seed Allie Will in the team’s season-ending loss to Florida.

Mar was not as fortunate in her first-round matchup, falling 7-5, 6-4 to Gator Joanna Mather despite being up a break in both sets. Ranked No. 59 in the country, Mar lost in three sets to the No. 21 ranked Mather in the match against Florida after winning the first set.

Duke also had two doubles squads make the NCAA draw, with competition beginning today.

Ranked No. 17, Capra and sophomore Rachel Kahan will face Georgia’s squad of Chelsey Gullickson and Nadja Gilchrist, who will be playing on their home courts. Junior Mary Clayton and freshman Ester Goldfeld, ranked No. 21, will compete against fifth-ranked Annie Goransson and Anett Schutting in their first-round match.

Share and discuss “Women’s tennis still competing in NCAAs” on social media.