Freshman Year '08-'09

President Barack Obama stopped by the Triangle on his campaign trail for the Nov. 2008 elections. He won with nearly 75 percent of Duke students in support.

History was made as the Class of 2012 began their Duke careers.

After a long campaign that saw Democrats winning traditionally Republican-voting North Carolina, Barack Obama was elected the nation’s first black president. Many students celebrated the victory—a Chronicle poll­ conducted in Oct. 2008 showed that nearly 75 percent of Duke undergraduates eligible to vote preferred Obama over his Republican opponent, Sen. John McCain.

Obama faced a broad set of concerns, including a near collapse of the financial system and subsequent economic downturn. The sluggish economy left a deep impact on the University as well—its endowment fell 20 percent between June 2008 and January 2009. To alleviate a $125 million deficit, the administration announced $50 million in budget cuts. Major projects, including plans for New Campus, were consequently put on hold.

In more positive economic developments, Duke’s Financial Aid Initiative, a fundraising effort that began in 2005, raised $308 million by the end of 2009. Although the Financial Aid Initiative fell just short of its $230 million goal for undergraduate aid, it surpassed its goal of raising $300 million total.

Duke also established a greater foothold abroad with the opening of the Duke-National University of Singapore Graduate Medical School in February 2009. The facility proposed to increase collaboration between researchers in Durham and Singapore and allow students to benefit from a more globalized learning environment.

Although the city of Durham also faced budget shortfalls and a weak economy, it inaugurated the $44 million Durham Performing Arts Center in late 2008.

In March, Awa Nur, Trinity ’10, became the first female president of Duke Student Government in 10 years and only the second black female in the role.

Former Duke professor, African American Studies scholar and civil rights activist John Hope Franklin died March 25, 2009, at the age of 94. Many prominent individuals, including former president Bill Clinton, came to Duke to honor Franklin’s life during a memorial service held in the Duke Chapel the following June.

Duke sports teams entered their season with potential but often fell short of their high expectations. The football team under new coach David Cutcliffe finished its season with a 4-8 record, showing signs of improvement. Under head coach Joanne McCallie, the women’s basketball team lost to Michigan State in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Men’s basketball clinched the ACC title but then lost to Villanova in the Sweet 16 round.

Share and discuss “Freshman Year '08-'09” on social media.