The United States of Disenfranchisement

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People took the issue of racial discrimination in voting laws to the United Nations this past March.

Americans have always felt strongly about politics and elections, so when states began implementing more stringent voter identification requirements in the past few years, some groups, including the NAACP, vehemently opposed this change.

At first, the issue may seem a non-issue. Requiring identification before casting a vote seems as a legitimate way to deter voter fraud. Depending on the state, voter identification requirements fall into four categories: government issued photo ID, non-government issued photo ID, non-photo ID or no ID at all.

There is a consensus, however, in both the media and academia that voter fraud almost never occurs. “I am not aware of any significant voter fraud in NC [North Carolina] or any other state, for that matter,” said James Coleman, professor at the Duke School of Law.

The NAACP and other groups have argued that this legislation unfairly discriminates against certain minority groups, particularly African-Americans.

Another popular argument has charged voter ID legislation with partisan aims. Generally, Republicans have supported voter ID requirements while Democrats opposed this legislation. Traditionally Democratic voter groups, such as racial minorities and the economically disadvantaged, are said to be affected the most by this legislation.

Tangible consequences may actually result from this legislation.

“In a swing state like N.C. or VA, these laws could throw the election to the Republicans if they dissuade only a hand full of voters in a close election” Coleman said.

According to the Brennan Center for Justice, affiliated with the New York University School of Law, approximately 11 percent of eligible voters lack government issued identification, such as a driver license. Certain states have set up measures to allow voters to obtain free government issued identification. Nevertheless, voter identification requirements in reality have disenfranchised certain Americans.

Share and discuss “The United States of Disenfranchisement” on social media.