Potti reprimanded by Missouri medical board

Discredited Duke oncologist Dr. Anil Potti has been officially reprimanded by a second state medical board.

The Missouri State Board of Registration for the Healing Arts reprimanded Potti March 6, according to Retraction Watch. The Missouri medical board has the power to revoke, suspend or modify Potti’s license. The former cancer researcher obtained a Missouri medical license Feb. 1, 2011, and it remains current.

In the reprimand, the board stated that “[Potti] understands that the Board may take further action against him based on facts or conduct not specifically mentioned in this document that are either now known… or may be discovered.”

This follows a reprimand for unprofessional conduct from the North Carolina Medical Board in November. The board investigated Potti after learning of allegations that he misrepresented his qualifications and may have committed research misconduct at Duke.

To date, Potti has retracted 10 papers and is undergoing continued investigations, including a misconduct investigation conducted by the University.

During a “60 Minutes” segment Feb. 13, Dr. Joseph Nevins, Barbara Levine professor of cancer genomics and Potti’s mentor, said it was “abundantly clear” that Potti had manipulated research data in order to support this theory that genomics could aid the treatment of tumors.

Potti was fired from Coastal Cancer Center—the South Carolina-based practice where Potti worked after leaving Duke in November 2010—Feb. 22. At least two lawsuits have been filed against Potti on behalf of patients who underwent clinical trials based on his research.

Potti continues to hold medical licenses in North Carolina and South Carolina. According to the terms of the Missouri reprimand, Potti must notify the medical boards of these states of his disciplinary status in Missouri.

Share and discuss “Potti reprimanded by Missouri medical board” on social media.