Patchett’s ‘State of Wonder’ chosen for summer reading

The Class of 2016 will read Ann Patchett’s novel “State of Wonder,” as their official summer reading book.

A 15-member selection committee chose the book out of 70 nominated works, which was narrowed down to five finalists, according to a Duke news release. The committee, which consisted of students, faculty and staff, said the novel was chosen because it draws on a variety of issues, such as anthropology, medical ethics and student-teacher relationships.

A combination of a scientific thriller and a personal adventure narrative, the novel discusses the life of a 42-year-old pharmacologist whose profession leads her to a Brazilian jungle. The work was selected in order to give the incoming class a shared experience and prompt a conversation and debate.

Sophomore Madison Moyle, a committee member, said “State of Wonder” was chosen because it provided more topics for discussion in comparison to the other four finalists.

“[I] can foresee great conversation associated with the novel,” Moyle said in the release.

The summer reading program was started in 2002 as a way to facilitate discussion for the incoming students. As part of the orientation week activities, the class will be broken into smaller groups to discuss the novel. It is also possible that Patchett will visit the campus during orientation.

In the release, Donna Lisker, associate dean of undergraduate education, added the novel will act as a “touchstone” for the incoming class over the next four years.

The other finalists included “Little Bee” by Chris Cleave, “Little Princes: One’s Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal” by Conor Grennan, “The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner’s Semester at America’s Holiest University” by Kevin Roose and “Whatever It Takes: Geoffrey Canada’s Quest to Change Harlem and America” by Paul Tough.

A special edition of “State of Wonder” will be mailed to incoming freshmen early July.

—from Staff Reports

Share and discuss “Patchett’s ‘State of Wonder’ chosen for summer reading” on social media.