Duke preps for sliding Wildcats

Fresh off their first ACC series sweep in eight years, the Blue Devils will look to build on the momentum in a road contest against Davidson tonight at 7 p.m.

The Wildcats (8-13) are headed in the opposite direction, entering the matchup on a three-game losing streak. Davidson has not fared well against Southern Conference competition, winning only two league games so far this season.

The Wildcats may struggle to contain Duke’s offense as the Blue Devils (11-14), who tagged Virginia Tech for 23 runs over the three wins last weekend, feature five players batting over .320. Three of the four starting pitchers for Davidson, on the other hand, have earned run averages higher than 4.70.

Senior center fielder Will Piwnica-Worms posted a career-high five RBI in Saturday’s 13-0 win over the Hokies, and he also knocked in his team-high third home run of the year.

Davidson split two games against the Blue Devils last year, with each team winning on its home field. Wildcat then-senior Drew Gadaire was the hero of Davidson’s 9-7 win over Duke last April, hitting two homers in the game—the second was a go-ahead, two-run shot in the bottom of the seventh.

The Blue Devils will look to control the long ball this time around and put together a successful nine innings before next weekend’s series against Georgia Tech.

—from staff reports

Share and discuss “Duke preps for sliding Wildcats” on social media.