DSG revives Discount Program

With a newly re-established discount program, students have more incentive to venture off campus to explore Durham and its vibrant food culture in particular.

The Duke-Durham Discount Program, revived in January after a more than a year of dormancy, gives students and faculty between a 5 and 20 percent discount at participating restaurants and other vendors. Users present their DukeCards in order to redeem the discounts at the 15 local vendors participating in the program, which include Ben and Jerry’s, Cosmic Cantina, Chopped Greens, FedEx/Kinko’s, Local Yogurt and Nosh.

Freshman Derek Rhodes, Duke Student Government senator for Durham and regional affairs, was instrumental in re-establishing the program and said he is working to expand the program and adding more restaurants to encourage students to interact and support the Durham community.

“Increasing Duke student visibility in Durham shows that we are invested in taking advantage of all that Durham has to offer,” Rhodes said. “The discount program works hand-in-hand with Durham’s food culture.”

First established in 2005, the Duke-Durham Discount Program originally included more than 20 vendors and offered a 5 to 20 percent discount for customers who presented their DukeCard. Due to a loss of vendors and decline in student participation, the program was not utilized in 2010-2011. In order to revitalize the program, the DSG Senate approved about $560 for marketing the program Jan. 18. The Office of Durham and Regional Affairs also contributed $500.

Phail Wynn, vice president for Durham and regional affairs, could not be reached for comment.

Rhodes launched a comprehensive marketing campaign involving websites, Facebook groups, Duke bus advertisements and table tents in the East Union and West Union buildings. Rhodes noted that the best marketing tool has been word of mouth.

“I’ve gotten lots of emails from students and faculty members who enjoyed their discounts, and I’m hearing from students [about] which restaurants they want added to the program,” Rhodes added. “It’s helpful for me to gauge what students like.”

In response to students’ request, Rhodes said he has reached out to restaurants Chipotle, Dame’s Chicken and Waffles, Mellow Mushroom and Noodles and Company. One student suggested that he try to include the hot dog stand outside of Shooters II.

Some restaurants, however, have not been so receptive to requests, Rhodes said. Ninth Street restaurant Bali-Hai opted out, claiming that Duke students are not their target clientele. The local Whole Foods Market chose not to participate because it is part of a larger corporation.

“We hope that they might see the benefit of participating, so we aren’t giving up on those places,” Rhodes said. “We reached out to them because we feel like they are a good fit for Duke students. Hopefully, students taking advantage of the current vendors will incentivize the rest to get on board, and that’s why student participation is so important.”

Rhodes, a Durham native, said he understands the significance of food culture in the Durham community. With this program, he seeks to connect students to residents through restaurant life.

“Everyone loves food in Durham, and the restaurant scene has increased tremendously,” he said. “It’s flourishing and growing with lots of small businesses that are unique to Durham.”

Junior and Durham native Alexandra Swain, DSG vice president for Durham and regional affairs, helped Rhodes re-establish the discount program with the goal of helping Duke students appreciate the individuality of Durham through its food scene.

“We have people coming in from different parts of the world to local universities to Durham, and that adds to the foodie vibe,” Swain said.

Durham’s diversified and expanded food scene has helped to improve the community, and the discount program gives students the opportunity to demonstrate the same support, she added.

“The dining scene that has made Durham such a livable city has helped it grow,” added Rick Johnson, assistant vice president of student affairs for housing, dining and residence life. “Durham has an interest in innovative food, and Duke students can become a part of the community by experiencing this renowned culture.”

Share and discuss “DSG revives Discount Program” on social media.