BSA speaks out about administration’s response to study

In response to Wednesday’s guest column signed by Duke’s senior academic officials, we are disappointed by the University’s extremely passive response to the primary issue that has been elucidated in the past week: the frustrating racial climate that exists and is ignored by our institution. First and foremost, in their letter, the administrators failed to address the persisting marginalization of the black community at Duke over the past decade, which includes, but is not limited to: the David Horowitz advertisement and the Duke Student Movement, the threat posed against BSAI, the perpetual uncertainty surrounding the future of the Mary Lou Williams Center and now the recent unpublished manuscript, “What Happens After Enrollment? An Analysis of the Time Path of Racial Differences in GPA and Major Choice.” We reiterate our respect for academic freedom, but believe that the University has an ethical obligation to address the perpetuated and serious implications of the study for the racial climate Duke. The sum of these events has led many members of the black community feeling as though our presence is not valued or appreciated. The less than adequate response of the Duke administration suggests that our presence is not respected and our best interests are not a priority for the University. Failure to acknowledge and address these serious and complex issues will be harmful, not just to black students, but the entire Duke community.

Sincerely,

Nana Asante, BSA President

Marcus Benning, BSA Vice President

Julius Jones, BSA Director of Academic Affairs

Crystal Fuller, BSA Director of Communications

Jazmine Noble, BSA Director of Finances

Symone Snowden-Wright, BSA Director of Programming

Share and discuss “BSA speaks out about administration’s response to study” on social media.