CULTURE  |  MUSIC

Circuital-My Morning Jacket

You might think, after hearing Circuital’s first track, “Victory Dance,” that My Morning Jacket have returned to the moody psychedelia of their 2005 album Z. But the opener’s eerie, simmering crescendo is a red herring—the rest of Circuital is bright, luscious and exuberant.

With Z, and later on 2008’s Evil Urges, Jim James and company broke away from their folk-rock roots and ventured into more eclectic territory, from freewheeling dirges to reggae-infused jam rock to Prince-style R&B. Their latest effort tones down the stylistic ambition a bit, but the result is far from underwhelming. On the contrary, Circuital rests at a happy medium between Z and At Dawn, a vibrant collection of country and folk imbued with ethereal splendor.

James best sums up the album’s atmosphere with the song “Wonderful (The Way I Feel).” A simple acoustic ballad, the song captures the essence of the record with its charming, traditional folk sound and blissful lyrics. Indeed, a sense of ecstasy permeates every moment; tracks like “First Light” and “Circuital” burst with the sheer pleasure derived from making music.

As with most My Morning Jacket releases, there is a certain element of nostalgia present on Circuital. “Slow Slow Tune,” “Movin’ Away” and “Outta My System” hearken back to the rock-and-roll innocence of the ’50s and ’60s, while “Holdin’ On to Black Metal” is a quirky tribute to the early ’90s genre. Their affection for the past produces tunes that are at once tender and rapturous.

The common thread among the songs on Circuital is the joy of performance. The group’s delight is present in every soaring harmony, every shimmering guitar. This is the sound of a band thoroughly enjoying itself.

Share and discuss “Circuital-My Morning Jacket” on social media.