Students must work for positive gender relations

It is no secret that troubles surrounding gender relations at Duke are deeply entrenched in campus culture. Yesterday we discussed how federal guidelines are impacting gender equity at our nation’s universities. Today we turn to the root of the problem: students and their interactions with one another.

Student organizations, not the administration, must direct the conversation about gender issues. At Duke, initiatives led this year by the Panhellenic Association illustrate the power that student organizations have to bring positive change to campus culture. Nevertheless, Panhel does not yet possess a fully developed advocacy voice. They and other student organizations still have much work ahead of them in the arena of gender relations.

Panhel, which represents the nine National Panhellenic Conference sororities on campus, has become more vocal this year in response to a number of disturbing gender-related incidents. First, Panhel strongly condemned the sexist fraternity emails that emerged last November. Soon thereafter, they started a petition to ban fraternity progressive parties. And most recently, Panhel has begun a campaign that aims to disassociate Duke from the gossip web site College ACB, an online hub for often offensive and venomous anonymous comments.

Panhel has the power to influence campus culture in the way that administrative bodies, such as the Women’s Center and CAPS, simply cannot. As the largest student organization and a mouthpiece for the female greek community, Panhel can significantly impact the way students interact in the social world.

Panhel’s next move should be to broadly encourage women, particularly greek women, to join the conversation. In the past, sorority women have remained silent about sexist practices for fear of being ostracized. This aspect of campus culture must change. Instead of holding an open forum on gender relations, Panhel should go from sorority to sorority, attending chapter meetings. Having a member of their own peer community lead the discussion would make sorority women much more open and honest about their own experiences.

Panhel is by no means the only student organization that should take a more active stance on gender issues. The Interfraternity Council in particular has untapped power to change attitudes about gender in the sphere of Duke social life where change is needed most. Under pressure from Panhel, fraternities have already begun to adjust their social event planning. However, changes in attitude are just as important as changes in practice. Real improvement in gender relations will come from heightened awareness and a shift in values, not a fear of exposure.

SLGs and, when they arrive, house councils also have a responsibility to contribute to the student dialogue about gender. Across the board, gender relations should be reconceptualized as an important issue for students of all genders and affiliations.

The moment is ripe for more positive gender relations on campus. This push for change is coming from many sides, including the administration, the trustees and the media. However, true change must come from students themselves. It will take courage and honesty on the part of student organizations and leaders to make this happen.

Gender relations are a nebulous concept, but with effort and honesty, we can improve them by changing the way we treat each other.

Share and discuss “Students must work for positive gender relations” on social media.