Group hears presentation on Tower improvements

DUSDAC invited Tower owner Tom Meyer to its meeting Monday to discuss committee concerns and student feedback on the eatery.

Although The Tower opened just weeks ago, owner Tom Meyer is already considering small changes to one of campus’s newest dining options.

Meyer, Trinity ’91, spoke with student representatives Monday night to discuss adjustments to his newly-opened restaurant. Last week, DUSDAC recommended a number of changes to the restaurant, including a simpler ordering process, larger portions and more reasonable prices.

Meyer said The Tower’s management is working on a clearer ordering form and stopped delivering food so that the staff can focus on the experience at the restaurant.

The Tower’s location was previously occupied by Tommy’s Rubs and Grubs. The Tower, in addition to a number of changes to the dining area, features a healthier, more inexpensive menu. All items cost less than $9, and the menu features more salads and fewer items with high fructose corn syrup.

“We’ve really put a premium on getting ingredients that are environmentally friendly,” Meyer said, adding that the restaurant gets much of its food from local farms.

Meyer also shared customer comment cards with the committee, noting that customers are generally pleased with the new restaurant.

When asked for some of his ideas for the future, Meyer said he hopes to be able to offer speciality menu items on particular nights, such as salmon or steak.

In other business:

DUSDAC members discussed requesting a number of proposals for funding from Duke Student Government. In the spring, DUSDAC officially became a part of DSG.

One idea consisted of tours of on-campus venues, such as the Great Hall, to provide students an understanding of how they function. The committee also discussed a proposal to sponsor student tours of a local farm that distributes produce to Duke.

Additionally, to increase usage of dorm kitchens, members of DUSDAC said they would like to bring vendors around campus to teach students how to prepare their own meals.

“Now that we are an official part of DSG, we are looking for their financial support so that we can expand our offerings to the Duke community,” said co-Chair Alex Klein, a senior and former online editor for The Chronicle.

Share and discuss “Group hears presentation on Tower improvements” on social media.