The other prince of Haiti comes to Duke

In the wake of the tremendous earthquakes in Haiti, Erol Josue’s role as a purveyor of his native country’s oral tradition is more prevalent than ever. He is the “Prince of Haitian Roots Music” for a reason—his calm yet powerful presence is made clear in song and speech.

Born into the Vodou tradition and initiated as a Houngan (Vodou priest) when he was 17, Josue has since lived in Europe and America to spread his country’s legacy through his role as musician, priest and community activist. Josue will take the stage Saturday in Pilgrimage: A Haitian Benefit Concert. recess’ Jessie Tang spoke with Josue about his continued efforts to merge music with a humanitarian message.

I found Pilgrimage an interesting title for your concert. Could you talk more about that? 

[It’s] always Haitian, [it’s] always a pilgrimage, for us. And now it’s time for us, as artists, to advocate and make a pilgrimage for Haiti. Now it’s more important than ever. 

What is the influence behind your music? I know you spent 13 years in Europe, and people have called your music globally influenced. 

My music is very electronic, but the base and the soul of my music is Haitian Vodou. But Pilgrimage, the show on Saturday, will be more typically Haitian and very special. A pilgrimage is a journey, a quest to pay homage for Haiti. Trying to give hope to our children. The performance will be very clean, with only five musicians. It’s not too heavy. 

How have the recent tragedies in Haiti affected your connection to Vodou and ties to your country? Do you feel more of a pull to spread the word?

It is global, everybody feels hurt from the tragedy. Vodou people, we need to advocate for the country, but we are also questioning. Questioning all things, and as human beings that is very normal... We also have a duty to protect all things, and sometimes people don’t understand our way of life. We have, for example, a spirit in Vodou called Kouzin Zaka, which is the spirit of agriculture. And the spirit protects our land, our nature, our environment. Our respect for all animals. Our respect for all sources of water or waterfalls, for everything, because we believe that we are successful by respecting nature. Because it will become our paradise. 

Are you impressed by the mobilization efforts that you’ve seen in the last couple weeks? 

I am impressed and pleased toward how the world has opened their eyes. To the way the people of the world have opened their heart. To try to help that problem. When we cry, people hear. We share grief, we share wealth. I ask for my pilgrimage, I ask people of the nations to help the Haitians from the rubble. All these souls are suffering right now. All these souls are looking for a bath.  On Saturday, we are on a quest to pay homage to Haiti. But we are asking other people to as well. We have a lot of suffering, but we also try to rejoice. We try to bring joy.  

Pilgrimage begins at 8 p.m. in Baldwin Auditorium. It is free and open to the public, with a suggested $10 donation benefiting Red Cross. For more information about Duke’s Haiti Relief efforts visit www.duke.edu/haiti/

Share and discuss “The other prince of Haiti comes to Duke” on social media.