Smart homes and smart campuses

Tuesday's Earth Jam!, hosted by the Nicholas School, reaffirmed the importance of sustainable living at the University. The University has demonstrated that "sustainability" is more than just a campus buzzword or an admissions gimmick; through a wide variety of initiatives, the University has made a commitment to sustainable living that we must not fail to recognize and support.

Smart Home is perhaps the most cited example of the kind of ecologically friendly research and development that any great university should engage in. Smart Home is not only commendable from a scientific perspective, but also, because of its community-based initiative, it embodies the heart of sustainability. The award-winning Smart Home represents both an intellectual and practical commitment to sustainability made by both the University and its students. We hope it is the first of many, and that the University continues pursuing green architecture.

Similarly, the success of events like Eco-Olympics on East Campus indicate an increasingly positive campus culture that recognizes efforts to promote sustainability need not be burdensome or drastic. Instead, we can creatively incorporate efficiency and reduction of waste into the flow of daily life.

But we cannot be too satisfied with a culture that throws away countless recyclable beer cans and Solo cups every weekend.

Stricter recycling requirements for party organizers-especially those who live in campus sections-should be considered to curb irresponsibility. This problem could be addressed by the simple addition of more recycling bins to such events, and fines should be considered for student groups whose recyclable trash output is exceptionally high.

The two-way handle toilets and waterless urinals that have begun to crop up on West should be expanded to residential halls. Drought or no, water conservation must continue to be a conscious priority. In the same vein, care should be taken that recycled items are not merely disposed of with non-recyclable trash, a phenomenon that some have raised concerns about.

These reforms would not only encourage efficient use of resources, but also would help turn sustainability into a habit.

Transportation-especially for a university spanning three residential campuses and containing a large medical campus-has always been a large source of carbon emissions and environmental concern.

The University has sought to address these issues through a wide variety of initiatives. Duke Bikes has proven to be a strong program in that it sends a very visible message for student involvement in sustainability.

The Trinity Heights housing investment, which allows those affiliated with the University to live comfortably closer to campus, proves that the University has made headway off campus as well as on.

Increased bus access to Erwin apartments means that residents of these buildings do not need to rely solely on private vehicles. Extending the hours of the C-6 may help forward the goals of our public transportation programs.

Yet the reality is that a large portion of Duke's many employees commute to work alone, and, although we recognize the strides we have taken in the right direction-on transportation and other issues-we must continue to make innovative and progressive improvements in both policy and principle.

Share and discuss “Smart homes and smart campuses” on social media.