Price for U.S. House

North Carolina's 4th District is facing its tightest congressional race in more than a decade.

With infrastructural rehabilitation, the maintenance of civil liberties and municipal budgeting shortfalls issues of ever-increasing concern, the 4th District's congressional seat requires a representative who demonstrates leadership and initiative.

Both candidates for this seat have presented a unique and powerful vision of what this country should become.

After meeting with both B.J. Lawson and David Price for a candid discussion of their views, however, it is clear that Price's ideas and ideology are precisely what the 4th District needs to move forward.

The Chronicle Editorial Board formally endorses David Price for Congressional Representative for North Carolina's 4th District.

Lawson's success thus far in his campaign is not without foundation. A Duke-trained physician and entrepreneur, Lawson embraces lofty ideals in both the positive and pejorative sense.

Lawson's advocacy on behalf of price sensitivity in higher education and endorsement of localism, coupled with his positions on the issues of Iraq and gay rights are laudable.

Unfortunately, Lawson displays a naivety regarding the machinations of policy creation in Washington and a myopic view of the policy implications of his ideals.

Lawson proposes to decrease the price of higher education through wholesale cuts in Pell Grants and FDLP student loans. He supports government sponsorship of localism through the radical restructuring of essential institutions such as the Department of Education and the Federal Reserve.

These stances raise thought-provoking questions regarding the role of government within the framework of the Constitution, but they are not constructive policies to address America's needs during a time of crisis and war.

On the other hand, David Price, a 10-term incumbent, offers both a deep institutional knowledge of Washington and a history of leadership on Capitol Hill. Price serves as a member of the House Appropriations Committee and is the Chair of the Subcommittee on Homeland Security, positions of notable influence that benefit his legislation on behalf of the 4th district.

Price is an avid supporter of an expansion to the State Children's Health Insurance Program, stronger economic regulation and a second stimulus package, a scheduled exit from Iraq and restoration of the individual civil liberties compromised by the Patriot Act.

Price also offers support for a re-focused national energy policy that prioritizes the environment and federal aid for struggling municipal institutions such as local police and schools.

None of this is to say that Lawson's campaign should be overlooked. With next year's Congress likely to be controlled by the Democratic Party, Lawson could serve as a moderating voice, presenting distinct viewpoints and highlighting key issues that need discussion such as the role of localism and the practices of good and efficient government.

This role of gadfly is essential to the functioning of a thoughtful, vigilant democracy. But in the end, Lawson's short-sighted policy proposals and his ideological peculiarity, which would hinder his ability to turn ideas into legislation, make him an unacceptable candidate.

Ultimately, Lawson's potential to bring thoughtful discussion to the chambers of Congress is overshadowed by Price's history of bringing progress. With 20 years of leadership and a history of turning ideology into action, Price is the clear choice to represent the 4th District in these turbulent times.

Share and discuss “Price for U.S. House” on social media.