Council discusses new interstate connector

Concerned residents of Durham's East End and the Duke Park Neighborhood discussed a proposed interstate connector at the City Council meeting Monday, following Durham Mayor Bill Bell's State of the City Address.

The project will provide a direct connection between the Durham Freeway and U.S. 70, as well as improve access to Research Triangle Park and reduce traffic on some local streets, said Durham Transportation Manager Mark Ahrendsen.

The North Carolina Department of Transportation will make a decision Feb. 13 on one of four proposed routes, Ahrendsen said.

NCDOT has recommended the third and cheapest alternative, which has the connector running south of Briggs Avenue. The route was discussed previously in 1982 but was not considered for development until recently.

"It is a very critical project," Ahrendsen said, adding that although the cost of the project exceeds $135 million, it is worth it because the route will decrease traffic and stimulate economic growth.

Several community members expressed concerns about the inevitable dislocation of District One residents if the project moves forward as planned.

"Though our community may not be the richest, it still has people that matter," said Sylvester Williams, pastor of the Durham Christian Center.

Williams asked that the council consider what he called a fifth alternative: no connector.

Several community members supported the final option because around 80 percent of the affected residents are senior citizens and they said it would be difficult for them to relocate.

"You don't uproot [senior citizens] from a home, you uproot them from a lifestyle," said a former resident of District One, echoing the sentiment of several other East End community members who were present.

One reason Duke Neighborhood Park area residents said they were in favor of the project was that it would provide a safe route for families and other pedestrians to get to the park.

"I've tried [crossing the highway], and it's horrible," said a Duke Neighborhood Park resident, adding that she currently has to cross seven lanes of traffic in order to get to the park.

The project is already in the works, so it is possible some citizens could be relocated as early as six years from now, members of the council said.

"We need to work towards a compromise," said Councilman Howard Clement, who proposed an ad hoc committee of District One residents that would inform NCDOT of district members' concerns.

Council Member Cora Cole-McFadden said that although she will try to be objective, it will be hard because she was uprooted from her home due to a similar renovation.

"[The decision made Feb. 13] doesn't mean that it will cut off the discussions and questions that were raised here tonight," Bell said, adding that the concerns of all residents will be taken into consideration throughout the development of the route.

Share and discuss “Council discusses new interstate connector” on social media.