Recruit Patterson impresses in win

Duke's last remaining post recruit for next year wrapped up an extended unofficial visit to Durham by powering his Huntington High School squad past Artesia High School 73-66 Tuesday at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Six-foot-8 center Patrick Patterson, who was also behind Duke's bench for the Blue Devils' win Sunday over Boston College, scored 20 points on 10-for-12 shooting and added 12 rebounds and four blocks.

Double-teamed down low throughout most of the game, Patterson showed his ability to operate in the post and hit the mid-range jump shot. Patterson also limited Renardo Sidney, one of the top players in the country in the current high school class, to 14 points.

Perhaps more importantly for the Duke fans in attendance, Patterson got his first taste of playing on Coach K Court-in front of the Blue Devils' coaching staff.

"Coming here, watching the team play, seeing Coach K coach, I have a better perspective than I did before," Patterson said. "I like the baskets here, I missed just two shots. That's a plus about Duke."

After the game Patterson said he would soon cut his list of potential schools down to three and make his final decision in March.

Huntington's win capped a hectic weekend for the top high school team in the nation. Scout.com's No. 1 overall player in the current high school senior class, O.J. Mayo, had been suspended for two games after an altercation with a referee during a game Jan. 26.

Mayo, who had initially not travelled with his team to Durham, received a temporary restraining order from a local judge midday Tuesday, allowing him to play in the game. After completing the six-hour drive down to Duke, Mayo arrived just an hour before the 8:45 tip. He scored 19 points and fouled out with three minutes to play.

"It's been real stressful since Friday night," Mayo said. "We have a great team from the head coach to the managers. I knew we were going to be OK."

Share and discuss “Recruit Patterson impresses in win” on social media.