Senior gets research on cells published

Lots of little kids ask how things work. Felicia Walton asked how a cell divided.

Walton, now a senior, maintained her scientific curiosity, and her latest research on an infectious fungus was published September in the research journal Molecular Biology of the Cell.

The paper was co-authored by Dr. Joseph Heitman, professor of molecular genetics and microbiology and director of the Center for Microbial Pathogenesis, and Alexander Idnurm, postdoctoral research associate.

Walton studied images of the disrupted pattern of cell division in the fungal pathogen Cryptococcus neoformans to identify proteins crucial to the infectious organism's ability to resist certain drugs.

"The idea is that perhaps we can find a drug that can target these proteins and inhibit their activity," Walton said.

The research could help develop ways to combat Cryptococcus, which infects people with compromised immune systems, such as chemotherapy or organ transplant patients.

"Cryptococcus is a major problem in Africa and other subtropical regions because it infects many AIDS patients," Walton said.

Her findings also greatly increased the current research on the genes involved with the chemical melanin-a pigment that helps the pathogen evade immune systems.

This is the second scientific paper Walton has published since beginning research as a freshman, Heitman said.

Walton began her Duke career by participating in the biotechnology-related Focus program.

With a professor's encouragement, she contacted Heitman and soon began researching with him.

"I thought, 'Oh my gosh! I've never had any research experience before and they're not going to want to talk to me,'" Walton said.

Instead, she found Heitman's lab a tremendous support system, especially for undergraduates.

Heitman said Walton was "pretty extraordinary," and added that he welcomed the chance to work with undergraduates.

"She performs at the level of a grad student and a post doc," Heitman said.

Walton's research began with a chance discovery of an abnormal strain of Cryptococcus neoformans.

"It started with just a very innocent observation of a really cool-looking strain which was very different than what we were used to seeing under the microscope," she said.

Heitman said he, Walton and Idnurm were happily surprised to learn that an image of the strain would be on the journal's cover.

"I think it's even more stunning to think about aesthetic beauty of the picture when you understand the genetics and the science behind it," Walton said.

Share and discuss “Senior gets research on cells published” on social media.