Calls made for Sigma Chi's punishment

As an organization whose founding principles were "the elimination of racial prejudice and the removal of barriers of racial discrimination" for all peoples of color, we feel that the "Viva Mexico" party thrown by Sigma Chi fraternity was a blatant display of racism. By displaying and portraying a people based on societal stereotypes, the members of Sigma Chi perpetuated an attitude that the NAACP as a national organization continues to combat. This type of racial stereotyping affects the Latino community as well as the entire Duke community.  

The struggle for equality is a community effort and as a community based on a diverse dialogue of multiculturalism, we cannot allow events like the Sigma Chi "Viva Mexico" party to be brushed under the rug as innocent acts of ignorance or stupidity. Ignorance of the law excuses no man. Therefore, this incident cannot be excused. We urge the administration to take an active role in reprimanding Sigma Chi in order to ensure that situations of this nature do not occur again.  

People of color have endured "black face" mockery and other visual forms of discrimination for years. These images are untrue, bigoted displays of racism that still remain in the hearts and minds of some of even the most educated and liberal members of our society. We must all band together and come to realize that "the true movement lies in the faces---black, white, yellow, red, and brown--united to awaken the conscientiousness of a people, of a nation," and of a community at an institution of higher learning.  

Gabrielle Thompson 

Trinity '04 

The author is vice-president of the Duke chapter of the NAACP.

Share and discuss “Calls made for Sigma Chi's punishment” on social media.